I Fell in Love with Baking...

..and those who are struck with the same emotion would surely understand.

If professional bakers have their unlucky days, how much more for a self-taught, learning baker like me? Well, I guess we all get our turn. But to really perfect our cakes and pastries besides constant practice is to also understand the science behind it, as baking is not just an art, in fact it's more of an applied science.

I still consider myself a learning baker, and hopefully, will master this science+art through the years. I created this blog because I wanted to share with you my happy and disastrous baking experiences here at home. One tip that I want you guys to keep in mind, always bake with love. I hope you will enjoy my entries and please do share your ideas here so we can learn from each other. Have fun, bakers!

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm so Frustrated!

I'm so frustrated right now.. I thought I will be able to make it right this time, but to no avail..
All I wanted to make is a pipable, glossy, chocolate fudge icing that we usually see in bakeshops. Is that hard to achieve? Thought it was easy... I'm sooo depressed.. huhu!

Anyway, I saw a chocolate fudge recipe online, I think it was just okay.. so here's the actual recipe:

1 c. sugar
1 c. water
4 tbsp. cocoa powder
6 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. vanilla

I just followed the recipe, combined the first five ingredients over medium heat, stirring constantly until it starts to boil and get thick, removed it from fire and stirred in the oil and vanilla. The texture was smooth and glossy, it looks perfect but not the taste. The taste is just okay. Back to my story, the only thing I altered in the recipe to get it pipable was increase the cornstarch to 2 tbsp. It turned out great.. I've even practiced piping borders with it. It was lovely.

So now that I already knew that the secret to a pipable fudge icing is cornstarch, I started thinking of experimenting with its taste. I started with milk and butter first. What I did was replaced water to evaporated milk, and oil to butter, I also made the cocoa to 1/2 cup so it'd taste chocolatey. I did the same process, I kept stirring for 15 minutes and it still hadn't thickened yet! I was soooo disappointed!

Until now, I'm still thinking what could have been the problem why it failed to thicken. 3 questions kept running in my mind right now:

- Is it just me? maybe I didn't measure the cornstarch well.
- Could there be somewhat like a chemical reaction between evaporated milk and cornstarch that slows down the thickening process in contrast to the quick thickening of the mixed water and cornstarch? (I don't even understand what I'm trying to say now.. hehe)
- Or maybe could I have just sticked to the cocoa measurement and shouldn't have increased it?

I'm never gonna stop until I get this right. I'll update you guys soon. Bye for now.

6 comments:

Dave Lucas said...

Once upon a time when I was in Cebu I had a wonderful "cake" that was made with Mango and fresh eggs. Do you have instructions for any similar concoction?

BeRRy HaLLey said...

Unfortunately, I don't have any yet. I love mangoes.. I will definitely try that soon, and will let you know about it. ;> So you mean you have once been here in the Phils?

Dave Lucas said...

Yup - several times!

BeRRy HaLLey said...

wow..that's good..hope you liked our country.. :)

Dave Lucas said...

I sure did! Stop by my blog... maybe you'd like to write a "guest post"

http://dave-lucas.blogspot.com

:MYSYCRY: said...

Hi
Can you please visit my page it's
a kinda unexplored.
read it and you will cry later on
here's the page

mysycry.blogspot.com